Despite the nationwide protests calling upon the government to arrest Rohith'smurderers, no action has been taken yet. Appa Rao Podile has not been sacked from the post of Vice-Chancellor. The Hyderabad High Court has put a stay order on the arrest of BJP MLC Ramachandra Rao and ABVP President Susheel Kumar. To cancel out the SC/ST Atrocities Act charges, the government is trying to prove that Rohith was not a Dalit.
To carry forward the struggle for Justice for Rohith, a "CHALO DELHI" call has been declared by Joint action Committee for Social Justice, Hyderabad University for 23rd February, 2016. JAC, Delhi endorses the call and appeals to all people to join the struggle in Delhi. We, the students, workers, cultural activists, intellectuals, will rally in memory of Rohith's martyrdom, to fight for justice and freedom and to realize the India of our dreams.
Our demands are :
- Enact "Rohith Act" against the caste discrimination in educational spaces.
- Punish the culprits (Smriti Irani, Bandaru Dattatreya, Appa Rao, Ramchandra Rao, Alok Pandey and Susheel Kumar).
- Remove Appa Rao from post of Vice Chancellor.
- Employ a family member of Rohith in the university.
- Pay a minimum compensation of 50 lakhs.
- Drop the false police cases against the five research scholars.
- Appoint a special public prosecutor in the concerned case of Rohith.
- Constitute a judicial inquiry (non-MHRD members) into all cases of discrimination and harassment of Dalit, Adivasi, OBC, Religious Minority students in all higher educational institutions.
- Implement Affirmative action policies in all higher education institutions, irrespective of the management of the colleges.
Schedule for the protest::
23rd February 2016 - 11:00am - Rally will start from Ambedkar Bhawan , near Jhandewalan and go till Parliament Street, Jantar Mantar followed by a Public meeting
24th February 2016 – Candle Light March at India Gate